ALGIERS- The specialized hospital (EHS) for burn victims Pierre and Claudine Chaulet (Algiers) has recorded, since the beginning of the month of Ramadhan, 198 domestic accidents, including 41 cases of burns requiring hospitalization, said Prof. Badreddine Mitiche, a specialist in pediatric plastic surgery within this institution.
The 41 cases hospitalized at EHS Pierre and Claudine Chaulet (23 girls and 18 boys) are aged between one (1) and three (3) years, indicating that the burns were caused in 85.39% of cases by hot liquids on the tripod gas stove, fire (6.06%), gas (2.52%), electric cables (1.5%) and chemicals (1%).
These accidents occur especially in the hours before Iftar, when the attention of mothers, absorbed by the preparation of the iftar, is reduced.
However, the specialist reported a “downward trend” in the number of cases recorded during the first two weeks of this holy month compared to the whole of Ramadan 2020, when 347 children were admitted to emergency departments, 50 of whom required hospitalization.
It is true that a relative decrease in domestic accidents, especially burns, has been recorded during these first two weeks compared to 2020, but the cases recorded this year are more dangerous because they affect infants in particular, said Prof. Mitiche pointing out the responsibility of adults.
He, also , stressed the need for parents to avoid using gas stoves, which is the most common cause of these accidents.
Professor Mitiche emphasized, on this occasion, the “reinforcement of prevention” within society, stressing that certain injuries linked to electric shocks can lead to amputations and cause lifelong trauma for the child.
For his part, the coordinator of the Specialized Hospital Establishment (EHS) of burns and reconstructive surgery of Douéra, Noureddine Habi reported that since the beginning of the holy month, his department recorded 18 cases of victims of domestic accidents related to burns, in different regions of the country, noting that the largest number of cases was recorded among women.
He also said that most of these accidents are caused by gas bottles due to defective assembly and to gas stoves, in addition to hot liquids (water, Chorba, oil) either due to negligence or lack of vigilance or otherwise.
Most of these accidents, he added, occur half an hour or a few minutes before Iftar time and during S’hur.
Specialists from both hospitals have pointed out that 90% of domestic accidents during the month of Ramadhan, especially burns, are caused by gas bottles and kitchen stoves. They are all unanimous in saying that the use of gas bottles and gas stoves can cause serious burns, and sometimes they are fatal, because of their wide use, without forgetting detergents, electric cables and electricity meters which are also very dangerous for children.