Algiers- The Director of the Pasteur Institute of Algeria, Dr. Fawzi Derrar, referred, today, Wednesday, April 28th, 2021, to the possibility of reinforcing the lockdown measures due to the sharp increase of contaminations with Covid-19 and its variants.
Hosted by the National Radio, Dr. Fawzi Derrar said that the capital Algiers is a hotbed of the variant first seen in Britain, stating that the possibility of reinforcing lockdown measures has been studied at the meeting held, yesterday, Tuesday, under the chairmanship of the President of the Republic, Mr. Abdelmadjid Tebboune, with Prime Minister and Ministers of Internal affairs, Local Communities and Urban Planning, Religious Affairs and Endowments, Communication, Public Works and Transportation, Health and Population and Hospital Reform, Pharmaceutical Industry, and the Secretary of State to the Minister of Health, Population and Hospital Reform, officials of security services, as well as members of the Scientific Committee to follow up and monitor the spread of Covid-19 pandemic in attendance.
In this regard, he indicated that 50% of cases of the British variant have been recorded in Algiers.
According to the communiqué issued following the holding of the meeting, the President of the Republic gave the following guidelines:
– Precise statistics must be provided from each province while taking into consideration the sources of contamination province by province and village by village in order to take decisions based on precise and accurate figures and to start an urgent epidemiological inquiry on the new variants in Algeria.
– The awareness campaigns must be intensified and the prevention measures must be respected, in the light of the carelessness that has been recorded so far. The awareness-raising must include all the public spaces and structures, notably the educational establishments, mosques, markets, stores and means of transportation.
– Fines must be rigorously implemented alongside the intensification of the control of the compliance with prevention measures.
– The total closure of land, sea and air borders is maintained and the level of vigilance raised on a daily basis.
– Concerning the national stock of vaccines and the vaccination campaign, President Tebboune ordered to speed up the pace of vaccination nationwide and to immediately implement the project of manufacturing the vaccine “Sputnik V.”