ALGIERS- Maitre Abdelmadjid Sellini, President of the Bar of Algiers, reacted, on Wednesday, April 07th, 2021, to the affair of the minor Chetouane Said, pointing to a “manipulation” of the victim by some parties, accusing them, nevertheless, of seeking to “sow trouble in the Algerian society”.
For Maître Sellini, these parties qualified as “foreign hands”, “seek to provoke a societal crisis to induce Algerians to kill each other”, adding that “this affair is a reality which hides other more important ones which challenge all of us “.
“This child is the victim of manipulation, we can not imagine that he can leave his family home (he lives in Blida with his mother divorced from his father) to spend the night in a villa in Ain Benian with other young people aged 22, 23 and 29 “.
“Who finances this villa, which has made all these means available to them, offering a 16-year-old minor a home to spend the night away from his family in Blida”, questioned the President of Algiers’ Bar.
Earlier, the public prosecutor at the Court of Justice of Algiers, Sid Ahmed Merad voiced, on Monday evening, on the case of minor Said Chetouane, 15, during a press conference with a view to shedding lights on the facts of this incident.
As such, the public prosecutor recalled the conditions of the arrest of the minor during the attempt to organize, last Saturday in Algiers, an unauthorized march of the popular movement by affirming that given his physique, the police thought they were dealing with an adult by proceeding to his arrest.
The same official went further explaining by saying: “But once his identity was verified, the usual procedure was initiated, namely, his examination by a forensic doctor, who assured that he was not subject to violent acts, before being handed over to his her mother, who was living apart from her husband (his father).”
The latter did not fail to specify that Said Chetouane refused the examination of the external genitals for the purpose of verifying the accusations brought against the police officers, according to which he had been subjected to sexual touching.
The public prosecutor of the Court of Algiers underlined that Said Chetouane came from Blida to participate in the Hirak marches in Algiers for two years without the knowledge of his parents as was the case of last Saturday.
To this end, Mr. Sid Ahmed Merad assured that the investigation remains open until the veil is lifted on the ins and outs of this affair which attracted the attention of public opinion.
As a reminder, following the accusations, in a video broadcast on social networks, claiming officers sexually abused a teenage boy arrested during protests, brought by the concerned against the police officers who arrested him, on Saturday in Algiers, the security services of Algiers informed, Sunday evening in a statement, the public prosecutor who, immediately, ordered the opening of an investigation to inquire about the veracity of the statements contained in the video in question”.
“After the circulation of a video on social networks in which the authors claim that a minor was mistreated in a police station in Algiers, security forces … informed the public prosecutor, who immediately ordered an investigation,” a police statement said.
One video reportedly showed the boy sobbing as he left the police station, while in another, the boy said he was “mistreated” by the police and alleged they “tried to rape him”.