Prep Time:1 hr 40 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr 15 mins
Total Time: 2 hrs 55 mins
- ¾ lb lamb , cut into pieces
- 2 scallions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro , chopped
- 1 celery stalk , with leaves
- 3 to matoes
- ½ cup chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (and/or chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 oz. freekeh , rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 8 cups water
In a pressure cooker, brown the meat in oil.
Add the scallions, garlic, tomatoes, and celery to meat. Add half the cilantro leaves and tomato paste. Add the chickpeas, stir and sauté over low heat covered for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the spices, salt, bay leaf, mint and hot water. Increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
Close the pressure cooker and cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
Open the pressure cooker and check the amount of liquid. Add a little boiling water if necessary.
Add frik into the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes over low/medium heat, stirring regularly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Turn off the heat and add remaining cilantro.