The UN Chief Antonio Guterres while expressing his deepest condolences to the families of the victims of terror attack in Srilanka, has called for the perpetrators to be “swiftly brought to justice”.
At least 228 people, including 32 foreigners, were killed and over 450 injured in a series of blasts in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday, hospitals and police officials said, the worst outbreak of violence since the end of the civil war a decade ago.
According to media reports, at about 0845 hrs, at least eight bombing attacks struck at least three churches, along with three five-star hotels frequented by foreigners, killing at least 228 people, in what the police said had been a coordinated attack.
Sri Lankan authorities have detained 13 people in connection with a series of deadly explosions, media reported.
The explosions led to an immediate clampdown, with the government declaring a 12-hour nationwide curfew and blocking major social media and messaging services, including Facebook and WhatsApp, to curb misinformation, according to the president’s secretary Udaya Seneviratne.
Mr Guterres who was “outraged by the terror attacks” said that it was “a sacred day for Christians around the world” and recalled “the sanctity of all places of worship”.
The statement issued by his Spokesperson said the UN chief “expresses his deepest condolences to the families of the victims, the people and Government of Sri Lanka, and wishes a speedy recovery to the injured”.
So far, no group has claimed responsibility for carrying out the likely suicide bombings.