Society Traditional Algerian Recipe: Lamb and Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean lamb, cut into 1/2 – 3/4 inch cubes
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 carrot, scraped, and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Rinse the lentils, place in a large pan and cover with water, soak for 2 hours, drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the lamb cubes, season with salt and pepper and brown them.
- Add one-half of the broth, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lamb is tender but still slightly underdone.
- Stir in the lentils and remaining broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion, carrot and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Sprinkle onion mixture with the cumin and cinnamon.
- Add the onion mixture and orzo to the pot.
- Cover and keeping lid ajar, simmer 10 minutes or until the lamb and lentils are cooked and the pasta is al dente.
- Taste for seasoning.
- This is a hearty soup.Healthy APPETITE